Gays for Patsy is the place for LGBTS (queer) folks to get together to socialize, two-step, line dance, east and west coast swing, waltz, and more to contemporary country, pop, and R&B in a supportive environment for more than 25 years!
We’ll be having the last dance of the 2014-15 season this Saturday, June 20, (see below) then we’ll be breaking for the summer (’cause you don’t want to dance in the church hall without air conditioning in July and August). We’ll return in September with a special combo night with the gender free contra folks (with a pot luck and all (see below). I’ll try to add country events so be sure to feast yer eyes on more queer-friendly dance opportunities and our calendar around the Boston area. See the sidebar for our Facebook links, email signup, and queer country meetup. Hope to see ya on the dance floor!
Queer Country Social and Gender-Free Contra Combo Potluck and Dance
Saturday, September 12, 2015 • 6–11 pm
Admission: $12 General/$8 GFP member (it’s time to renew folks)
First Church of Jamaica Plain • 6 Eliot Street, Jamaica Plain, MA
(side entrance of church across from The Footlight Club).
We’re still working out the details but here’s what we got so far:
- Potluck: 6–7 pm (more details on what to bring when I get them)
- Lessons: 7–8 pm
- 7–7:30 pm: Basic Two Step Lesson
- 7:30–8 pm: Line Dance Lesson
- Social dancing: 8-11 pm with Bucky
Join a bunch of smilin’ folks (I can say this ’cause at the last dance I saw a whole bunch of smilin’, grinnin’, laughin’, socializin’ and lots of other in’s) two steppin’, west (and east) coast swingin’, waltzin’, line dancein’, cha-chain’, and more to contemporary country, r&b, and pop music (couldn’t figure how to work in more in’s in that last bit). All for a low cover of $12 (includes the less’ns).
Here’s the tentative format: Half hour blocks of live music where Chris will call a contra dance, then it will be followed by a few two stoppable numbers and maybe a waltz or a polka (yet to be confirmed) followed by a half hour block Bucky DJing doing the line dances we love.
No partner necessary! Just come on by and there will be lots of partners to swing (or be swung) by.
What?!?!?! You don’t know how to dance? Don’t you fret none, we all began with two left feet. Don’t you fret none, we’ll learn ya. We got a basic two step at the beginning of the night and a whole bunch of folks that will help you. We are also going to be teaching basic cha-cha, waltz, and west-coast during the year, so keep an eye peeled (okay, thinking about that turn of phrase, “eyes peeled” is not such a great metaphor). Take a chance, have fun, and I think you’ll be hooked (I certainly was).
Social dancing starts at 8 pm and goes until 11 pm with our DJ. FYI, This is a nonalcoholic venue (’cause it’s a church, y’all).
- Saturday, September 12, 2015: Queer Country Social and Gender-free Contra Combo Potluck and Dance
- Saturday, October 17, 2015: Queer Country Social
- Saturday, November 7, 2015: Queer Country Social
- Saturday, November 21, 2015: Queer Country Social
- Saturday, December 19, 2015: Queer Country Social
- Saturday, January 16, 2016: Queer Country Social
- Saturday, February 20, 2016: Queer Country Social
- Saturday, March 19, 2016: Queer Country Social
- Saturday, April 16, 2016: Queer Country Social
- Friday-Sunday, April 22–24, 2016: Spring Stomp! Our annual hoedown in P-town!
- Saturday, May 21, 2016: Queer Country Social
- Friday, June 10, 2016: Queer Country Social
- Saturday, June 18, 2016: Queer Country Social
- Thursday-Sunday, June 30–July 3, 2016: IAGLCWDC Annual Hoedown in Columbus, Ohio!
Five days of dancing, learning, socializing, and exploring.
We also have a few other places (like Americana Mondays and Dirty Water Saloon) you can go for more dancing.