A “quick” update for the last week of March (Spring is here!)
In a nutshell:
–Bob “da prez”
Early Spring Dance
Saturday, March 29, 6:30-11 pm
Shake off those winter blues by wearing your prettiest spring outfit — I’m hoping to be blinded by pastels! Come two step, line dance, west coast swing, waltz, and more. Don’t know how to dance? Don’t you fret none, we’ll learn ya. Just mozey on in for our beginner lesson at 6:30 with Ian. Already know the basics? Get to the next level beyond the basics and learn a line dance with Julie starting at 7. Social dancing from 8-11 pm.
Forcing Spring Dance at a Glance
- When: Saturday, March 29, 2014
- How much: $10 ($8 for members)
- Where: 1st Church of JP, 6 Eliot Street, Jamaica Plain, MA
- Lessons 6:30-8 pm
- 6:30-7 pm Beginner Two Step with Bob
- 7-7:30 pm Beyond the Basics Two Step with Julie
- 7:30-8 pm Line dance: Mr. Goodtimes! with Julie (step sheet and tutorial video)
- 8-11pm Social Dancing
- (did someone mention going to JP licks after? Why of course I’ll come.)
April 25-27, 2014, Provincetown, Massachusetts
With two dances, workshops, line dance lessons, and P-town off season! We are excited to announce the new location for Friday night’s dance and the Saturday workshops: Sage Inn and Lounge. That Saturday Sage will also be hosting a booksigning for The Fabulous Beekman Boys. It should be a hoot!
Pride Dance and Parade, June 13-14
Robin has organized a line dance spot on the stage of Pride and has got us a spot in the parade along with a few other dance clubs (contra and others). I’ll post more when I know but keep Friday night, Saturday Jun 13 free for our pride dance and the following Saturday day, June 14 (roughly 11 am-2pm) free! It will be great to have a bunch of folks join us and have a goodly number of people march.
- Americana Mondays
Mondays, 8-11 pm, no cover. PAs Lounge, Somerville Avenue, Somerville, MA.
A fun night of live country, blues, and R&B hosted by Greg Klyma and his band and friends (it’s a blast to see the band swell from three to many by the end of the night). Some two-step, lots of blues, and a few waltzes make for a fun night. No cover, but donations for the band appreciated.
- Dirty Water Saloon
Tuesdays, 7-10 pm, $5 cover (includes lessons). Milky Way Lounge in Bella Luna Restaurant, 284 Amory Street, Jamaica Plain, MA
Two-step, West-coast swing, line dancing, and more to contemporary country, R&B, pop, and more.
- STOMP! GFP’s Annual Spring Hoedown
Friday-Sunday, April 25-27, Provincetown, MA
Friday night’s dance and Saturday workshops are at Sage Inn and Lounge, Saturday’s dance at Town Hall. Consider a weekend pass and save (available at gfp dances, dirty water saloon, and the opening dance of Stomp, Friday, April 25).
- Mile High Hoedown
May 22-25, 2014. IAGLCWDC Annual Convention will be in Denver this Memorial Day. Early Registration ends March 22. Lessons, dances, competitions, sightseeing, and more. A bunch of us go every year and come back bursting to try new line dances, moves, and full of energy. Renegaydes will be performing exhibition dance — amazing dancers, performers, and you can literally dance your boots off (I did a couple years ago). It’s a great time.
- LGBT Country/Swing Dance Cruise from NYC to Bahamas
August 24-30, 2014.
A gay cruise featuring instructors John Lindo (an amazing west coast swing instructor), Susanna Stein (from Big Apple Rance, NY), Sara Hilbrich (DC Roleplay), and Bobby Horn (line dancng from San Deigo). With our very own, Bucky Chappell DJing. Reserve your room soon, limited capacity. Contact Bucky for more information.
What a spectacular opening night with well over 50 people: some new, some old, some returning. The ReneGAYdes performed their routine they will be doing when they compete in the Boston Open Dancesport (see Upcoming below). After the dance, a bunch of folks moseyed on down to JP Licks for an ice cream under the stars.
Thanks to all who came, Art and Peter for teaching (step sheet and demo videos of Cry Cry Cry and The Outlaw can be found at the bottom of this post), Bucky for DJing, and for all the volunteers who helped set up, break down, and work the ticket booth. Smiles, laughter, and sweat abound.
Synch your calendar! I added a new calendar function to the site that will allow you to either import the dance dates into your iPhone/Android or synch them to Gmail calendar. See our calendar page for more details. Let me know if you like the new format.
- Dirty Water Saloon. Two stepping, line dancing, west coast swing for the lgbts community over at Bella Luna Restaurant in JP.
- Boston Open Dancesport Same-Sex Ballroom Dance Competition. Friday, September 20th A night of dancing with country line dance instruction from 7-8 pm and the dance remaining being a mixture of all types of dances. Saturday, single and group competitions in the afternoon and early evening followed by a evening of social dancing. Jen will be competing with Meredith from NY (both will be awesome to watch) and the ReneGAYdes will be competing in the group competition. Come support, dance, and have fun.
- GFP Halloween Dance. October 18. Come dressed in Costume, or, as Wednesday Adams did, come dressed as psychopaths “cause they look like everyone else”. Make sure you can dance in your costume though. Lessons 7-8pm • dance: 8-11 pm. I’ll post more when we get closer.
Cry Cry Cry line dance step sheet and demo videos
- 32 Count, 4 wall, Beginner/Intermediate
- Choreographed by Francian Sittrop
- Music: Cry To Me by Precious Wilson & Eruption from their Greatest Hits album
- Step sheet
- Demo Video 1 An unusual way to start the video (with her but to the camera) but in a crowd, it’s what you’ll see. I love her expression not sure her outfit does her justice though.
- Demo Video 2 A sassy, well-done video variant with a bit of styling on the walk forwards.
- 32 count, 4 wall, Beginner
- Choreographed by Suzanne Wilson (who also did the very similar Country as Can Be)
- Music: Whiskey Drinkin’ S.O.B. by Mikel Knight from the album Whiskey Drinkin’ S.O.B.
- Step sheet
- Video 1 The closest video I can find to what Peter taught but not the best quality. You’ll get the idea though.
- Video 2 Just for entertainment — mostly cause I am both fascinated and horrified by the guy in plaid shirt — very enthusiastic (some of his moves were great but a bit scary to watch as he almost plows into the other dancers).
- Video 3 Another for entertainment value: A young guy teaching for fun but — oh, my, my, my — what a talker. I fast forward through the first part of the talking to where he and a friend show off their styling. Fun to watch, but definitely just for the short styling bit. His rambling instruction is hard to sit through. If you want to really see something fascinating watch the In Cahoots competition in San Diego he mentioned being in. It was wild to see how far the “young un’s” go and are egged on by the announcer — I only watched a little bit I started to feel a bit uncomfortable after a while.
Lots of stuff brewing as we end the summer (sigh) and head into the fall:
Tonight (and every tuesday): Dirty Water Saloon
Sunday: Monthly Same-Sex Ballroom Dance Lessons and Dance
Mondays (throughout August): Americana Mondays at Radio.
September 7: GFP opening dance-Lamda Ranch September 7
GFP opening dance
Come on down Saturday, September 7, for a non-alcoholic night of socializing and dancing (two-step, west and east coast, waltz, line dance and more).
Don’t know how? Don’t have a partner? Don’t you fret none, just come for basic two-step lesson starting at 7 pm and a line dance lesson at 7:30 pm. Dancing starts at 8 pm.
Dirty Water Saloon
Two-stepping, line dances, west coast swing, and more. August lessons: beginner west coast with Bernadette and September Intermediate moves with Alan Gaskell.
Monthly Same Sex Ballroom Dance Lessons
Get ready for you next social event, dance party, wedding and Ballroom dance competition! Learn how to Waltz, Salsa, Tango, Rumba and Cha-Cha-Cha No partner necessary, no experience is OK, we will teach you! Social dance after the lesson. All Styles, swing, country and Ballroom.
Americana Mondays at Radio
Our own Greg Klyma leads the band through a night of American music and dance. This is a mixed night of gays and straights, but guaranteed to be a good time.
- When: Mondays through August
- Doors open: 7:30 pm
- Band plays: 8-11 pm
- Where: Radio
379 Somerville Ave, Somerville, MA
- Cover: No cover but donations to the band appreciated.