A quick, rushed message about dancing this weekend and Stomp deadlines that you’ll have to check the website for more info.
Pardon for any missing info, like I said: rushed.
Dance Saturday, April 15: Learn Tango at GFP’s Queer Country Social
Saturday, April 15 • 6:30-11 pm, 6 Eliot Street, Jamaica Plain (Boston)
- Get your friends to come to our basic two step at 6:30 with Beth
- Get your ass to the Tango Lesson at 7 with Patrick and Beth
- Get your boots on the floor for “Burlesque” line dance at 7:30 with Beth
But mostly, get you and anyone you can think of to the dance. I’ll (Bob) will be DJing and it should be a fun night.
Dirty Water Saloon: West Coast with Alan Gaskell!
Tuesdays, April 18 and 25 at Bella Luna Restaurant in JP
Alan Gaskel returns to teach new West Coast Swing moves at 7 pm. Jim will teach “Power Surge” at 7:45 and Bucky (April 18) and Bob (April 25) will DJ.
Spring Stomp: A Hoedown in P-town is just a couple weeks away!
April 28-30. Provincetown, MA (Sage Inn and Lounge and Provincetown Town Hall)
Don’t miss out on our 25th Anniversary Hoedown!
Get your Weekend Pass for only $75 before it goes up to $100! Order online or buy at the above September 15 dance or at Dirty Water Saloon on Tuesdays at Bella Luna in JP. Online purchasing closes a week from Tuesday and prices at the door go up significantly across the board.
Our 25th line up includes:
- 3.5 dances:
- Friday opening dance (8-12 pm) (Beginner two step and line dance lesson by Bob Sweeney)
- NEW! Saturday workshop practice dance (1-3 pm) (Beginner two step and line dance lesson by Art Sullivan)
- Saturday main fundraising dance with performance by the Rengaydes (7-12 pm)
- NEW! Sunday “sweet tea” dance (10 am–2 pm)
- Two workshop tracks that you can pick and choose including:
- beginner and intermediate west coast with Simone and Alan
- beginner and intermediate two step with Simone or Alan
- the hustle (Simone) or night club two step (Alan)
- two advanced line dances (Kendra and Beth)
- two intermediate line dance (Art Sullivan)
Added for the 25th based on feedback from last year:
- Private lessons: sprinkled throughout Saturday you can sign up to have a 1/2 private lesson with Simone or Alan for only $50 each.
- Sunday brunch: 8-10 am at Sage Inn for only $12 –MUST ORDER BY APRIL 15!
Get your Sunday Brunch tickets NOW! Today! If you want to partake of Sage’s “enhanced continental breakfast” for only $12 on Sunday, April 30 from 8-10 am at Sage Inn and Lounge YOU MUST ORDER BY 11 pm Saturday, April 15 so we can get the numbers to Sage. This is a hard deadline and no one can be added after Saturday.
I will have tickets at tomorrows dance and a sign up for brunch if you don’t want to order online and an iPad on hand in case you want to use a card.
Bob “da prez” Sweeney
Gays for Patsy.
In a recent New York Time’s article, “Walk, Stretch or Dance? Dancing May Be Best for the Brain”, a study found that out of a number of activities given to an aging group of test subjects, country western dancing significantly made a difference in keeping brain function. Granted this is a small study over a short period of time, but anyone who dances knows navigating the dance floor and learning line dances does keep us on our toes (literally and figuratively).
So get dancing
At Gays for Patsy we have offer the following opportunities (akas: dances) to fortify your brain (more info below or click on the links to go to our website):
All are great ways to get out, learn new things and exercise your brain.
Our dances are for everyone though we are mainly a queer organizaiton (LGBTQA+S = Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning, Asexual, and Straight). All we ask is that you don’t care about gender norms and want to have fun.
No experience? We’ll learn ya
No partner? We’ll find ya some.
So get out and dance already!
Bob “da prez” Sweeney,
Gays for Patsy
Tuesdays • 7-10 pm
Bella Luna Restaurant and Milky Way Lounge • Jamaica Plain
This is a small venue that we have fun with experimenting with music, line dances, and more. It’s a fun dance that has a bar/restaurant so you can come order a drink or a pizza and enjoy the dance as you go along.
April’s Dirty Water Saloon Dances:
Partner Dance Lesson
Social Dancing DJ
|April 11||West Coast Swing
|Sick of Me
|April 18||West Coast Swing
with Alan Gaskell
|April 25||DJ: Bob|
April 15 • 6:30-11 pm
1st UU Church of Jamaica Plain
The space is much bigger than Dirty Water Saloon and has a wonderful dance floor. This month we’re venturing into tango! Patrick and Beth will be teaching a basic tango lesson and Beth will teach a tango based line dance Burlesque, and our DJ Bob will play a mix of two step, west coast, east coast, line dances galore, tango, and a waltz or two.
April 15’s Dance at a Glance
Beginner Two Step
Beyond the Basics
with Patrick & Beth
April 28–30, 2017 — Our 25th year!
Sage Inn and Lounge and Provincetown Town Hall
There’s so much going on this weekend that a quick blurb can’t suffice. With 3½ dances, workshops, and lessons you’ll have a great time. We have Alan Gaskell and Simone teaching the partner dance workshops and offering private lessons! We’ll be teaching 6 line dances this weekend and adding a Sunday t-dance so you can get some dancing in before heading home. But don’t wait to buy your tickets, the “early bird” price will be going away soon and you’ll have to pay full price! There’s a list of discounted guest houses on the site (just mention Stomp).
NOTE: If you want to partake of the Sunday Brunch from 8-10 am at Sage Inn and Lounge, you must buy your brunch ticket by Friday, April 14! (we need to let Sage know).
Gays for Patsy’s Renegaydes
The Renegaydes are our own performance dance group. You’ll see them at our Spring Stomp, our Pride dance, and the IAGLCWDC (International Association of Gay and Lesbian Country Dance Clubs) convention in Miami. Come check them out. They’re working on a fun routine choreographed by Bucky Chappell. It should be fun. The Renegaydes also has a facebook page at GFPRenegaydes.
Our Social Media
- Gays for Patsy Facebook Page: gaysforpatsy
- Gays for Patsy Facebook Group: groups/54700858826/
- Dirty Water Saloon Facebook Page: dirtywatersaloon
- Renegaydes Facebook Page: GFPRenegaydes
- Spring Stomp Facebook Page: GfpSpringStomp
- Tumbler: gays+for+patsy
- Twitter: @gfp_dances
- Meetup: Queer-Country-Boston