Queer Country Social (QCS) Dance — with free lessons!
Join a bunch of smiling queer (LGBTQA+S*) folks (and friends) socializing, dancing, and learning two-step, west (and east) coast swing, waltz, line dances, cha-cha, and more to contemporary country, r&b, and pop music. All for a low cover of $12 (includes the lessons).
No partner? No sweat.
Just come on by and there will be lots of partners to swing (or be swung) by 3 minutes at a time. Everyone is welcome.
No experience? Don’t you fret none, we’ll learn ya.
We all started at these dances stumbling through the basics and know how scary learning something new is. There will be people just learning as well as seasoned veterans. You’ll not be alone or without support.
Social dancing? A dance where you can be all social-like. 🙂
Our DJ of the day will play all sorts of music from contemporary country, r&b, to pop music that you can two step, line dance, west coast swing, east coast swing, waltz, and more. If you have a favorite line dance, just ask the DJ. If we have it, we’ll work it into the rotation. (if we don’t we’ll see about getting it)
A bunch of us usually head over to JP Licks after for ice cream.
FYI, This is a nonalcoholic venue (’cause it’s a church, y’all).
Admission: $12 suggested sliding donation ($8 GFP member – Membership helps us gather money at the beginning of the season to pay for dance hall rental and gives you a discount for the rest of the year!)
Location: First Unitarian Church of Jamaica Plain • 6 Eliot Street, Jamaica Plain, MA (side entrance of church across from The Footlight Club).
When: Saturday, February 17, 2018
Lessons: 7-8 pm, and social dancing: 8-11 pm
- 7:00-8:00 pm: Lessons:
- 7:00-7:30 pm: Beginner partner dance lesson (tbd)
- 7:30–8:00 pm: Beginner line dance lesson (tbd)
- 8:00–11:00 pm: Social dancing
Our DJ will be playing a selection of country, pop, and r&b music to salsa, two-step, west coast, lindy/east coast, line dance galore, and maybe a waltz or two.
Our 2017–18 Queer Country Social Calendar
(see our Calendar page for a full list or the our Google calendar below)
- Saturday, February 17, 2018
- Saturday, March 17, 2018 <– Big Apple Ranch’s Manhattan Prairie Dogs to perform!
- Saturday, March 31, 2018
- Saturday, April 21, 2018
- Saturday, May 19, 2018
- Friday, June 1, 2018 (last dance before our summer break)
- Sunday, June 3, 2018 — Join us for the Walk/Run for Aids, where 30 years ago “Gays for Patsy” was coined.
- Saturday, June 9, 2018 — Dance along the parade route with us to celebrate our 30th year as Gays for Pasty
- We take a summer hiatus for our Saturday dances ’cause the church is not air conditioned. We’ll start up again in September and we’ll post dates soon.